Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Moonbeam's adventure continued

The Pacific is beckoning and the boat departs on January for the big 2013 adventure. Look for regular updates on the passage as well as google maps showing the boat's location. Here's the link:


Sunday, November 11, 2012

Nov. 8, Thursday

Here is the crew. With Moonbeam, back on its home dock in Marco Island. At last.

As noted, the trip was definitely not the"dream" sail the crew had hoped for between Oyster Bay and Marco. This time: detours on the ICW, headwinds, slow days and more.

And yet, with another hit in store. After passing under the Channel 5 Bridge in the Florida Keys on Wednesday afternoon, and with the boat headed north, fates continued to send troubles. This last leg to Marco proceeded against a cold front with 30K winds (on the nose, of course). Ugggh.

Arrived just before noon on Thursday at the Marco dock. The crew is happy to tie up the boat and step across to dockside.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Nov. 6, Tuesday

Making good time down the coast of Florida.  Doing over 7 Kts SOG.  Will pass Miami around 5 AM Wednesday

Monday, November 5, 2012

Nov. 5 , Monday

After an arduous time since departing Oyster Bay, the crew is overjoyed to have crossed the northern boundary of the state of Florida. They finally arrived in the"south". Left Jackonsville to starboard.

A great day, moving well at 7kts with the crew in shorts!

At this point, the blog leaves Moonbeam to continue on without daily posts. All is well.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nov. 4, Sunday

It is a tough slog as Moonbeam follows the South Carolina coast south.

Capt. Ken wrote this morning, " We are getting hammered again off Savannah with 30-40 kt headwinds. Making average less that 3 SOG."

Position update:
Latitude 32° 1.344" N, Longitude 80° 7.769" W
This position report was received Sunday November 4 2012 at 6:33 PM GMT

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Nov. 3, Saturday

Late morning, report:
Wind switched late last night to 20 out of the north. running 7kts sog with jib and staysail (and motor). Sunny but still chilly out here. Expect to pass Charleston around 6PM.

Good morning:
The blogger has been sitting in the car in a gas line since 5:00a.m., here in northern NJ. Nothing to do but check email on the IPad. At home, no power, no heat, no water, no cooking, and 9 big trees down in our yard. By 7:00, we finally got gas.

In the email box: a message from last evening. Capt. Ken writes, "Updates....at noon on Friday we went thru the Beaufort bascuile bridge (tides too high at highway bridge - only 63 feet clearance). Forecast looked good to go offshore calling for 10-15 kts winds W - WNW and 2-3 ft. seas. Wrong again! We are bucking a 40 kt wind on the nose with 6-10 ft seas. UGH - will be a miserable night."

Be safe Moonbeam and crew.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Nov. 2, Friday

Mid-afternoon report:
Just received a skymate position report showing Moonbeam just south of Beaufort, but on the inside. Looks like the decision was to stay on the ICW tonight. More later, if we get an update.

Latitude 34° 35.226" N, Longitude 76° 45.192" W